RPAC Works For You
The REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) is the best way a REALTOR® can protect his or her business. RPAC is the only grassroots force that exists to protect and promote the tradition of homeownership and real estate investment.
RPAC Supports the REALTOR® Party
RPAC’s mission is to identify candidates for elected office on the local, state and national levels who will work with REALTORS® to promote and protect the real estate industry and private property rights. Candidates that receive support from RPAC are not selected based on their political party or ideology, but solely on their support of real estate issues. Our allies support the REALTOR® Party and supports the issues that are important to your business as a REALTOR®, regardless of political party affiliation.
RPAC Helps Your Business Succeed
RPAC is the real estate industry’s insurance to promote and protect the real estate profession for all TAR members. Consider how RPAC has helped you in recent years:
- Banks in Real Estate: After an eight-year fight, Congress passed legislation in 2009 to permanently keep banking conglomerates out of the real estate brokerage, which saves the typical real estate professional $5,400 annually.
- Conforming Mortgage Loan Limit Increases: Legislation that increased the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac conforming mortgage loan limits increased the earnings of the typical real estate professional by $6,250 over and above what would have been the case without the increase in the limits.
- Professional Privilege Tax: Tennessee REALTORS® worked with the legislature to exempt non-principal broker real estate licensees from paying an annual professional privilege tax. Real estate licensees are only among a handful of licensed professionals exempt from the $400 state tax.
- Cash Rebates in Tennessee: REALTORS® stood up to the U.S. Dept. of Justice to pass legislation to ban cash rebates in real estate transactions that could have created unfair competition in the industry and baited consumers into potentially risky and illegal transactions.
- Homebuyer Tax Credit: REALTORS® led the way to advocate for the extension and expansion of the homebuyer tax credit, creating an important incentive to help stabilize the housing market and stimulate the economy by awarding homebuyers up to an $8,000 return.
These all helped put money back in your pocket and added to your business’ bottom line. RPAC is an investment in your livelihood.
Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes. Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and are used for political purposes. The amounts indicated are merely guidelines and you may contribute more or less than the suggested amounts. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal and the National Association of REALTORS® or any of its state associations or local boards will not favor or disfavor any member because of the amount contributed. 70% of each contribution is used by your state PAC to support state and local political candidates. Until your state PAC reaches its RPAC goal 30% is sent to National RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2 U.S.C. 441a; after the state PAC reaches its RPAC goal it may elect to retain your entire contribution for use in supporting state and local candidates.